In Loving Memory of
Hugh L. Crowe, D. C.
Loving Husband, Kind Father, Proud Grandfather, Honorable Veteran, Friend and Mentor
Hugh Lee Crowe was born in East Point, Georgia, February 11, 1927. The family moved back to Lawrenceville, Georgia, where he grew up. He enlisted in the United States Navy during WWII, married Elizabeth Cooke in 1948, returned for a tour of duty in the Navy following his graduation from Palmer Chiropractic College in 1951.
While at Palmer Chiropractic College, Hugh Crowe interned with B. J. Palmer and learned the importance of correcting the “atlas” (C1 vertebra) subluxation. In 1956, Dr. Hugh L. Crowe was president of the Georgia Chiropractic Research Society. He also served two terms as president of the Georgia Chiropractic Association.
Dr. Crowe was led to being taught the Grostic Procedure under John F. Grostic, D.C., by colleagues, Dr. Roy W. Sweat and Dr. T. O. Humber. This camaraderie (along with Doctors J. K. Humber, James McAlpine and others) later established “Grostic Presentations” which developed into the Society of Chiropractic Orthospinology. Dr. Hugh Crowe also associated with the National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association (NUCCA) and assisted Dr. Roy W. Sweat in the development of the Atlas Orthogonal Program. In 1994, Dr. Crowe was a founding member of the Academy of Upper Cervical Chiropractic Organizations.
Dr. Hugh L. Crowe inspired and mentored many in the chiropractic profession. He supported the founding of Life Chiropractic College in 1974 as well as the Sherman College of Chiropractic, as a preceptor faculty, he taught seminar classes at the colleges. He spoke to large groups as well, including political and healthcare meetings and conventions. Dr. Hugh L. Crowe was published in the Chiropractic Research Journal, Today’s Chiropractic magazine and others.
Dr. Hugh Crowe received numerous honors and awards during his 54 year career including “Chiropractor of the Year: for Georgia in 1984 and the proclamation of December 20th being named “Doctor Hugh L. Crowe Day” in College Park, Georgia in 2002.